Before taking this course, I am a little bit confused that what can I acquire in this course which its name sounds related to communication but not information engineering. Things changed my mind when Rosanna told us.
Social Media covers a wide range of aspects. In general, it's divided into two sides with Application side and Technical side. And in technical side, it goes to two branches. One is focus on engineering another that I should learn in this course is analysis.
So which aspects should I analyze in Social Media? First of all, Natural language processing is required so as to take sentiment analysis. Secondly, I should learn some mining algorithms to collect netizens' opinions towards some particular subject. So to a certain extent, people can use this method to predict the trend of stock with observing mass thoughts and then can forecast market trend. Some other aspects are mentioned such as network analysis, ranking, etc.
Hope can acquire more important and useful knowledge from this course. :-)
What is Social Media,
Social media is information content created by people using highly accessible and scalable publishing technologies. At its most basic sense, social media is a shift in how people discover, read and share news, information and content. It's a fusion of sociology and technology, transforming monologue (one to many) into dialog (many to many) and is the democratization of information, transforming people from content readers into publishers. Social media has become extremely popular because it allows people to connect in the online world to form relationships for personal and business. Businesses also refer to social media as user-generated content (UGC) or consumer-generated media (CGM).(Select from Wikipedia)
I learned a lot from your blog. The conception of the social media, however, can be explained more detailed?
回复删除Frankly speaking, I had the same confusion with you when I took this course for the first time. I didn't know why should we learn social media. But I got the answer after the first three courses. One of the most important parts in social media analysis is how to deal with data and information, including content which generated by users or complex relationships between users. So IEMS5723 is really a practical and useful class.
回复删除Actually, I initially have the same confusion like you. You article indicates that you have a brand new cognition about this course. I really benefit from it. It's no doubt that social media analytics implies much useful information. I believe we will learn more in the following study.
回复删除I learnt that you have a great cognition of the topic of our lectures. Social Media is actually a valuable subject to research. We are to enjoy the interesting classes in the coming days.
回复删除"social media is a shift in how people discover, read and share news, information and content"- It is quite good definition of social media. I learned a lot from your article.
回复删除you really listened very carefully, at first, I'm also confused about what I can learn in this course, but now, I find that there are two much I need to learn, every aspect of the knowledge in class is so useful in social media analysis,and we all know the important of social media.
回复删除